The MSSU is one of several SUPPORT Units across Canada administered by SPOR, the Strategy for Patient-Oriented Research, an initiative of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). We engage with patients from across Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI.
Our approach is collaborative, involving both the research community and patients as partners. We believe the patient perspective promotes decision-making that reflects the needs and values of those living in the Maritimes. Our collaboration with the research community on the planning and conducting of research contributes to an enhanced health system, engaged health research, and improved health outcomes.
Together, we’re bringing research to life.
Want to know more about how the MSSU fits into CIHR’s SPOR initiative? Visit our More About SPOR page.
To expand the use of health data and application of patient-centered outcomes research.
To enhance health and well-being of individuals and populations in the Maritimes through research.
- Lead and support patient-centered outcomes research
- Involve patients in how data is collected and used to define health research
- Integrate Maritime health care data
- Use health data that meets the information and knowledge needs of patients, policy and decision-makers in research
- Provide support as a multidisciplinary methodological expertise and application in patient-centered outcomes research
- Assist decision makers and investigators identify and design research studies
- Promote discussions of health system reform at an academic and community level
- Establish timely access to linked data that integrates existing or new databases
- Improve timely access to high-quality and cost-effective health care
- Incorporate meaningful engagement of patient values and priorities
- Foster knowledge translation and implementation
- Accelerate patient-centered outcome research
- Harmonize privacy and ethics guidelines
- Facilitate access to linked health data and integrated existing or new databases
- Advance career development and training in patient-centered outcomes research
Our Strategic Plan