At the MSSU, we are committed to building capacity for patient-oriented research here in the Maritimes. Since 2014, we have provided funding opportunities to nurture the next generation of researchers pursuing patient-oriented research in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island.
2020-2021 MSSU Student Awards
The 2020-2021 MSSU Student Awards offer funding opportunities for graduate students pursuing patient-oriented health research. Students must be entering or enrolled in a Master’s or Doctoral program in Nova Scotia or Prince Edward Island, and supervised by an MSSU Associate Scientist.
Students can belong to any faculty and/or department, not only those traditionally related to health sciences. However, the research must be health-related and patient-oriented, taking into consideration patient interests and needs. In addition to financial support, MSSU Student Award recipients may receive training in patient-oriented research.
Funding Amount and Duration
- Master’s students receive up to $10,000/year for 1 year
- PhD students receive up to $15,000/year for up to 2 years
Competition opens: March 2, 2020
Application Deadline: April 30, 2020 at 2:00 PM AT
Results Available: June 2020
Funds Available: September 2020
For program information including eligibility, assessment, the application process, and requirements to apply, please see the 2020-2021 MSSU Student Awards Program Overview.
All required documents including references must be received by the application deadline, April 30, 2020, 2:00 PM AT.
NBHRF & CIHR-SPOR-MSSU Studentship/Fellowship
The NBHRF & CIHR-SPOR-MSSU Studentship/Fellowship offers funding opportunities to New Brunswick-based graduate students pursuing a Masters or PhD degree and Postdoctoral Fellows holding an MD or PhD.
The student or fellow:
- Can be pursuing health research training in any discipline but must be in a field of human health research related to the four CIHR pillars, defined broadly as biomedical science, clinical research, health services and systems research, and research on the cultural, social, and environmental determinants of population health.
- Must be under the supervision of a health researcher who is an MSSU Associate Scientist conducting research in New Brunswick, at a university, college or institution (e.g. medical training programs, regional health authority hospitals).
Application Deadline: January 6, 2020
Funding Decisions: March 15, 2020
Funding Start Date: July – September 2020
Funding for 2020 competition
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship (M.D. and/or PhD) for 2 yrs. at $50,000/yr.
- PhD Studentships for 3 yrs. at $24,500/yr.
- MSc Studentships for 2 yrs. at $17,500/yr.
For more information, visit the NBHRF website. This competition closed on January 6, 2020.