At the MSSU, we are committed to building capacity for patient-oriented research in the Maritimes. Since 2014, we have provided funding opportunities to support the next generation of researchers pursuing patient-oriented research in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island.
2021-2022 MSSU Student Awards
The 2021-2022 MSSU Student Awards offer funding opportunities for graduate students pursuing patient-oriented health research. Students must be entering or enrolled in a Master’s or Doctoral program in Nova Scotia or Prince Edward Island, and supervised by an MSSU Associate Scientist. Each supervisor may have one awarded Masters and one awarded Ph.D. student.
Students can belong to any faculty and/or department, not only those traditionally related to health sciences. However, the research must be health-related and patient-oriented, taking into consideration patient interests and needs. In addition to financial support, MSSU Student Award applicants may receive training in patient-oriented research. A link to this optional training can be found in the research proposal form. All Student Award recipients are required to attend Foundations in Patient-Oriented Research, offered through MSSU or other SPOR approved entity, during the term of the reward.
Funding Amount and Duration
- Master’s students receive up to $10,000/year for 1 year
- PhD students receive up to $10,000/year for 1 year
Students will be eligible to receive funding for 1 year only, and are ineligible to receive additional MSSU funding for the same research project.
Competition opens: March 8, 2021
Application Deadline: April 30, 2021 at 2:00 PM AT
Results Available: June 2021
Funds Available: September 2021
Thank you for your interest in the MSSU Student Awards. The competition closed on competition closed on April 30, 2021 at 2:00 pm.
NBHRF & CIHR-SPOR-MSSU Studentship/Fellowship
The NBHRF & CIHR-SPOR-MSSU Studentship/Fellowship offers funding opportunities to New Brunswick-based graduate students pursuing a Masters or PhD degree and Postdoctoral Fellows holding an MD or PhD.
The student or fellow:
- Can be pursuing health research training in any discipline but must be in a field of human health research related to the four CIHR pillars, defined broadly as biomedical science, clinical research, health services and systems research, and research on the cultural, social, and environmental determinants of population health.
- Must be under the supervision of a health researcher who is an MSSU Associate Scientist conducting research in New Brunswick, at a university, college or institution (e.g. medical training programs, regional health authority hospitals).
Application Deadline: January 6, 2021
Funding Decisions: March 15, 2021
Funding Start Date: July – September 2021
Funding for 2021 competition
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship (M.D. and/or PhD) for 2 yrs. at $50,000/yr.
- PhD Studentships for 3 yrs. at $24,500/yr.
- MSc Studentships for 2 yrs. at $17,500/yr.
For more information, visit the NBHRF website. This competition closed on January 6, 2021.