The Maritime SPOR SUPPORT Unit (MSSU) is a multidisciplinary research and facilitation unit dedicated to supporting patient-oriented health services research and decision-making in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Please complete this form to apply for research support.
If you are applying for research support for your Research In Medicine project, please have your faculty mentor complete this form.
To select more than one option, hold the CTRL key while clicking the mouse.
About the Project
Please enter a short 150-200 word description of your research project.
Please select all that apply. To select more than one province, hold the CTRL key while clicking the mouse.
Please provide a list of all other researchers on your project team.
Alignment with Patient-Oriented Research
Goals of MSSU Supported Research
With the following key points in mind, please answer the questions below.
Improve the quality of healthcare through evidence-based research. Covering a wide range of research activities, patient-oriented research aims to “better ensure the translation of innovative diagnostic and therapeutic approaches to the point of care, as well as to help the provinces and territories meet the challenge of delivering high quality, cost-effective health care” (CIHR).
The goals of patient-oriented research include:
- Accessibility: Ease/timeliness of needed medical services;
- Effectiveness: Benefits and harms of treatment & comparison of different interventions;
- Efficiency: Maximize use of resources and reduction of waste (time, effort, resources);
- Patient-centered: Healthcare that respects and reflects individuals’ values, needs and preferences;
- Equitability: Minimal variance in health care outcomes due to population differences (e.g. gender, age, socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, geographic location);
- Safety: Minimal risk and harm; and
- Sustainability: “Right patient, right treatment at the right time” – value for money and cost-effectiveness of healthcare, balanced with fair and timely access.
Please answer this question in a few lines or less.
Please select the areas in which you require assistance. To select more than one area, hold the CTRL key while clicking the mouse.