At the time of application, applicants must
- Be in the process of applying to or be accepted into a full time thesis-based* graduate university or college program offered in Nova Scotia (NS) or Prince Edward Island (PEI);
- Be under the supervision of a researcher/supervisor conducting research in the Maritimes and holding an academic appointment at an NS or PEI university or institution, including medical training programs, regional health authorities, and hospitals; and
- Propose original research that is directly relevant to the health of Maritimers and supports the goals and objectives of the Maritime SPOR SUPPORT Unit (i.e., demonstrates understanding and/or application of patient-oriented research).
Postdoctoral fellows cross-appointed to a NS or PEI Health Authority may also apply.
* Programs requiring a major research project or practicum are not considered to be thesis-based programs.
- Applicants must provide proof of ongoing registration at a university or college in NS or PEI offering graduate training, and reside in NS or PEI for the tenure of the award.
- Student applicants may be employed full time while holding an award, but must indicate a reasonable work plan to carry out their proposed research activities.
- MSSU reserves the right to withhold awards if no qualified applications are received.
Awards Tenure and Value
Awards are offered annually, subject to availability of funding, in the following categories:
- Master’s Studentship: 12 months’ tenure - $18,000/yr
- PhD Studentship: 12 months’ tenure - $25,000/yr
- Postdoctoral Fellowship: 24 months’ tenure - $50,000/yr
While successful candidates can hold this award concurrently with other awards, total funding, including other awards and baseline funding, cannot exceed the amounts above.
Applicants will be notified by email of the outcome by April 2017.
Please be advised that preference will be given to new/first-time applicants. Applications consist of an online form and the following attachments (on single-spaced 8.5 x 11 paper using 12-point font and 1-inch margins):
- Applicant’s curriculum vitae
- Copies of applicant’s undergraduate and graduate university transcripts
- Applicant supervisor’s curriculum vitae*
- Research proposal (3 pages maximum) including
- Project Title and Description (1 page maximum)
- Training Program and Career Goals (1/2 page maximum)
- Alignment with MSSU Goals and Objectives (1/2 page maximum)
- Applicability to Patient-Oriented Research (1 page maximum)
- Two referee forms from individuals familiar with the applicant’s research experience or potential. These are to be sealed once completed and mailed to the address below.
- Details of additional funding you hold or have applied for, including the funding organization, maximum amount of funding available to you, and funding expiry date.
Applications must be received by 4:00 pm, March 31, 2017. Late or incomplete applications will NOT be accepted.
* At this time, the Maritime SPOR SUPPORT Unit does not subscribe to the CCV system.
For further information, please contact
Room 216, Centre for Clinical Research