The Maritime SPOR SUPPORT Unit (MSSU) is one of several Support for People and Patient-Oriented Research and Trials (SUPPORT) units dedicated to bringing health research findings to life by helping integrate them into patient care.
We engage with patients from across Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI, and collaborate with the research community on governance, priority setting, and the planning and conducting of research. Through this meaningful and active collaboration, we contribute to an enhanced health system, engaged health research, and improved health outcomes. We are dedicated to supporting patient-oriented research and decision-making that will reflect the needs and values of Maritime patients.
The MSSU and other SUPPORT Units across Canada are administered by SPOR, the Strategy for Patient-Oriented Research. SPOR , a Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) initiative, is focused on more effectively integrating health research into care.
Our mission is to expand the use of health data and application of patient-centred outcomes research.
Our vision is to enhance health and well being of individuals and populations in the Maritimes through research.
- Research using health data that meets the information and knowledge needs of patients, policy and decision-makers
- A critical mass of multidisciplinary methodological expertise and application in patient-centred outcomes research
- Assistance for decision makers and investigators to identify and design relevant research studies
- Promotion of health system reform discussions at an academic and community level
- Timely access to linked data and integrate existing or new databases
- Research that improves timely access to high-quality and cost-effective health care
- Incorporate meaningful engagement of patient values and priorities
- Foster knowledge translation and implementation
- Accelerate patient-centered outcome research
- Harmonize privacy and ethics guidelines
- Facilitate access to linked health data and integrated existing or new databases
- Advance career development and training in patient-centred outcomes research
Our Strategic Plan
Want to know more about how the MSSU fits into CIHR’s SPOR initiative? For further information, visit our More About SPOR page.