The Oversight Committee (OC) is the governing body of the Maritime SPOR SUPPORT Unit (MSSU). The committee meets twice annually with one in-person meeting each year. Members of this Committee are engaged in the Health Services community throughout the Maritimes and provide strong linkages between their organizations and the MSSU. Working with MSSU stakeholders, the committee defines the supports needed to ensure the MSSU’s success and long term sustainability.
The OC is accountable to the Maritime public, MSSU stakeholders, and CIHR. The OC provides the channel for the three provincial governments, N.S., N.B., and P.E.I., to collaborate. Provincial collaboration ensures MSSU objectives align with the goals of provincial policy makers and reflect stakeholder intent while complying with relevant legislation. In addition, it is the responsibility of the OC to ensure the MSSU operates in compliance with CIHR's mandate for the SPOR SUPPORT Unit initiative. Finally, the committee is responsible for obliging funder requirements, stakeholder and CIHR reporting requirements, and for providing strategic leadership of the Maritime SPOR SUPPORT Unit initiative.
Chair: Tom Maston - Deputy Minister, NB Department of Health
CIHR Observer: Nancy Mason-MacLellan - Manager, Major Initiatives / Strategic Initiatives Branch Research, Knowledge Translation and Ethics Portfolio
Denise Perret: Deputy Minister, NS Department of Health and Wellness
Jeannine Lagasse: Associate Deputy Minister, NS Department of Health and Wellness
Tom Marrie: NSHA Representative
Jill Hayden: Policy / Science Lead
David Anderson : Nominated Principal Investigator MSSU
Marina Hamilton: Executive Director, MSSU
Jillian Banfield: NS Patient Advisor
Dave Denman: Guest - NSHA – Finance Manager, Research Services
Tom Maston: Deputy Minister, NB Department of Health
Tony Reiman: Policy/Science, Lead Dalhousie, Canadian Cancer Society Research Chair, Assistant Dean, Research Professor
Ted McDonald: Co-Principal Investigator – MSSU, Past Chair, Data and Privacy Advisory Committee / Academic Director NB-RDC, Director NB Institute for Research, Data and Training, Professor of Economics, University of New Brunswick
Vacant NB Patient Advisor
Prince Edward Island
Kim Critchley: Deputy Minister, PEI Department of Health and Wellness
Brian Bertelsen: PEI Policy/Science, Policy Analyst, PEI Department of Health and Wellness
Juergen Krause: Interim Dean and Principle Investigator, University of Prince Edward Island
Jim Jenkins: PEI Patient Advisor
Roles & Activities
- The Oversight Committee ensures the MSSU operates in compliance with CIHR's mandate for the SPOR SUPPORT Unit initiative, particularly with regard to Patient Engagement.
- This committee, through its membership of key stakeholders, ensures MSSU objectives align with the goals of provincial policy makers and reflect stakeholder intent while complying with relevant legislation.
- The Oversight Committee oversees the application of the good governance principles to the work of the MSSU with a focus on continuous improvement and long term sustainability.
- The Oversight Committee executes its accountability through a sub-committee, the Executive Committee (EC). This sub-committee oversees the implementation, administration, financial management, monitoring, reporting, evaluation and Patient Engagement efforts to ensure strong administrative leadership and appropriate supports are in place.
- The Oversight Committee approves business plans, budgets, annual reports and makes binding decisions on issues that cannot be resolved at the Provincial or operational level.
- The Oversight Committee plays an advocacy role for the MSSU and its work.
- 3 Deputy Ministers of Health – one from each province
- 3 Patient Advisors – one from each province
- 3 Policy/ Science Leads – one from each province (must also sit on their respective PAC)
- 3 Principal Investigators – ex-officio and non-voting
- Representative from the MSSU host institution, the NSHA (VP level) – ex-officio and non-voting
- Executive Director – ex-officio and non-voting
- CIHR Observer – ex-officio and non-voting